What College Is Right for You?
By Ms. Elizabeth DelConte
It is never too early to start planning for your future and what college you want to attend. Not sure where to start? Here are some questions to ask yourself. What programs and degree offerings am I interested in? What major would I like to study or do I want to enroll as an undeclared student? How far away from home do I feel comfortable moving to attend college? Do I want to attend a large or small campus? What housing options do I want to consider such as on campus dorms? What type of atmosphere am I interested in? As you ask yourself these questions and write down your answers so you can reflect back. Most likely your answers will evolve over time as you explore your options and that is ok!
Did you know there are more than 2,000 colleges in the United States. WOW!!! That is a lot of options. College tours are an excellent way to get a feel for the campus to see if it’s a fit for you. Many campuses this year have suspended their in person tours due to COVID however you can still tour campuses virtually. Below are links to virtual college tours to get you started in your search.
- San Diego State University: Live sessions are offered Monday- Friday 11am-2pm
- Sonoma State University: Registration is required for the virtual tour
- Cal State LA: Pick your tour guide as you click your way through an interactive campus tour.
- Cal State Northridge: Check out the Orange Grove!
- UC San Diego: Click to schedule a tour with current students as they guide you through the campus.
- UCLA: Live virtual tours are offered by appointment. Over 125 majors to choose from.
- College Board: Big Future: A non profit organization to connect students to college success. This site has information on SAT’s PSAT’s, AP classes, Scholarships, Financial Aid, and a search tool to filter colleges by your preference such as location, major and career. Check it out!!!!!
The above links are just to get you started in your search. When looking for the right college be sure to use your support network. Have conversations with your parents, teachers, counselors and mentors on your goals and interests to help guide you. We here at CalPac are here to support you!